Saturday, February 15, 2020

Bacon Take 2

Report from first try:
10 days may be too long. The saltiness was higher than I wanted, at least. Cooking at 200F may also be unnecessary - we'll see.

New thoughts based on reading up from here:

And from the blog links on there:

I also got a kindle copy of a Charcuterie book (one regarded as a good hybrid of textbook and recipe book, apparently). Ruhlman's blog has a link to his book, which could be interesting too.

RE: meats to use -
Whole Foods (at least, the larger one in Lincoln Park - up by REI) had standing pork rib roasts, so I snagged one with a decent "cap" and cut the bones off. The bones will take a bit of skill/practice to remove without cutting off much meat, but now what I've got is an ~800g slab of nicer pork than the TJs one gave me.

Based on the calculator, and a target of 2.25% salt, this works out to:
2.0g Curing Salt #1
16.0g Kosher Salt

Technically the calculator says 18g Kosher Salt, but I'm targeting 2.25% including the curing salt.

Considering doing the brine approach, but for this one at least I'll try the dry brine again.

Will keep 10 days for the one already in the fridge, but not cook it. KeefCooks suggests throwing it in the freezer before slicing, personally I think I'll just fridge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment