Monday, April 20, 2020

Pork Ragu

This is actually the second time I've made this one. First time I don't entirely remember the recipe, it was a hybrid of a duck ragu recipe and another one actually intended as pork.

Might have been this one:
https://www.spoonforkbacon.com/braised-pork-ragu-over-pappardelle


This time it's this one:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cavatelli-with-pork-ragu

This second one smells a little too spiced.

EDIT: Made a 2nd round and while the nutmeg blends nicely, I think we should halve the cloves.

I also did English Muffins using the Knight Flour recipe last week; left them to proof for a long time though, so this week I'll do Bruno Albouze's version.

Did Babish's baked rigatoni as well. This time around, doing his Lasagna.

The wet-cured bacon worked pretty well, still a little saltier than I wanted. We'll continue using the Costco pork loins for it and probably dry-cure at a lower %; the savings are pretty huge compared to Whole Foods.

Also been doing English Muffins. Tried the recipe from Knight Flour; I think I let it proof too long and they came out kind of sour, then pushed on them during the griddling process and wound up with a very tight crumb. 2nd time was from Bruno Albouze; this went better but I think I let the yeast proof for too long before adding into the liquid levain, leading to a suboptimal rise. I do like his idea of just using pastry rings and a 2nd pan on top to guide how they form, though.

His recipe also uses instant yeast, which (from...I think it's Knight Flour again?) apparently tends to lead to a greater rise than what you'll see with active dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment