Friday, March 20, 2020

Bacon Extra!

Costco actually had pork loins today, so I snagged one as well as the ribs for the previous "entry." I have a strong suspicion that these will be less good than the ones from Whole Foods, but while Whole Foods are out...

Calculator again:
https://eatcuredmeat.com/how-much-curing-salt-per-pound-of-meat-dry-or-wet-curing-tool-calculator/

This time, given the sheer size, I'm going to go with the wet brining approach. Total mass of pork is 2838g, and we don't need to correct for salt loss. Thus to get our 2.5% it's (rounding from the calculator) 10g curing salt, 100g Kosher salt, and 1.14L of water.

I'll have to prep the salts and water separately, possibly bringing up to a simmer first.

Procedure I'm thinking:
* Wet cure for ~5 days
* Flip over and do 5 more days
* Soak for 1hr in fresh water and clean surface --> I may just wash it, to be honest; equilibrium brining
* Leave to dry, flipping daily, for 3-4 days

This has me flipping it next Wednesday, taking it out on the 30th, and starting to eat it a on that Wednesday/Thursday.


Note: The Book suggests 1 gallon of 60* Brine and 81g of Cure #1 for 5kg. I'll have to do some math on that.

*http://seafoodacademy.org/brining-activity.php

No comments:

Post a Comment