Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2010-12-08 Squat and Press

Wore the belt again today. I'm not sure if it was the extra stability, the mechanical assistance that I will explain below, or just me sucking less, but...well, read on.

Warmup: The usual, sans the balls, but with more PVC attention to my lower back because I'm getting used to the EXCRUCIATING pain.
Oh, and the asshole guy who tried to pick a fight with me when I was warming up for my 405 dead was there. I won't move this to the top, but he was doing movements in perfect synch with two other skinny guys with nicer faces. They were curling, then they were pretending to do cleans, then they were BTN pressing, then they were half-squatting, and then he in particular was offering program advice to a guy significant larger and stronger than him who unfortunately both knew him and did not become larger and stronger than him without outside help and thus not only put up with him but agreed to follow said advice to the letter.

Yeah, I, uh, may have watched an episode of ZeroPunctuation in the last ten minutes. >.>

Squat: 45, 45, 45, 135 (all for 5), 135x1
3x5 - 205lbs
Did the 135 single and felt that my form had solidified enough that I should just move up. Waited a minute or so, added belt, did first set.
I got Greg to check my depth on the third set and he said I was definitely going past parallel, which seemed amazing to me, because legal squats are not supposed to be that easy.
I don't think I was engaging my core (via the belt) properly, but it's one of the only three explanations I have, the others of which are:
2) That the belt provides considerable mechanical assistance, partly by pressing into my thighs when I'm nearing depth and giving me some kind of rebound...or something...
3) That I've just gotten that much better. Possible, I...guess?

The belt also server as a very helpful indicator of depth - I knew when to rebound because eventually the force of the belt against my thighs provided a mechanical barrier preventing me from going deeper. Since this depth was legal...yay?

I feel like a gear whore.

Press: 45
3x5 - 110
This was harder than I like.

DB Row:
3x5 - 50lb
My left isn't engaging properly.

Rollouts:
3x8
Tried to add band, couldn't. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment