Sunday, December 2, 2012

Cooking - 12/2/2012

Breakfast - 2 Toulouse Sausages

Dried, poached*, then pan-fried in grassfed butter.
Suspect I left both steps for a bit too long and that the poaching was at too high of a temperature

*Brought water to a very light boil, then reduced heat to ~5 o'clock. Left for 20-30 minutes.

Dinner - Roast Duck

Cut off neck fat and the fat around the cavity. Discarded giblets, because I don't have the courage to start actually using them yet. Costco seem to have these in fairly steady supply, though, so I'll probably manage it over break. Saved neck for stock. Accidentally cut very close to the butt; removed for symmetry.

Did the usual thing of snipping the achilles. Tied the legs together - couldn't truss fully because I'd removed the butt. I'm not entirely sure if it's worth trussing a duck, actually - the meat's all dark, so it may cook evenly regardless.

Scored the skin on the breast and a bit on the leg. Tucked wings under the body.

Seasoned generously with salt and pepper. Put a halved garlic clove, some thyme sprigs, and some bay leaves in the cavity, and sprinkled some thyme leaves on the breast.

Roasted at 450 for 90 minutes.

This was definitely overdone. Some portions were nearly burned and the meat was quite dry. I'm very glad nobody came over to eat with me, because I'd've been embarrassed serving this to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment