Wednesday, June 29, 2011

2011-06-29 Dead, Bench, and Programmy

Dead Day

Warmup - Same, but only 8 reps on bridges and ghr

Deadlift: 185, 225, 275; 315, 365 (1 rep only)
405lbs - 5, 3, 3
Lockouts were...somewhat unsatisfactory. I think I'm going to start doing my rows Kroc style.
Loaded it up as 365 with 2 extra 10s each side, made a point of not thinking about the weight, and very consciously calmed myself down whenever I started getting psyched up. I have now learned something very important about psyching yourself up: It doesn't help with 5s. In fact, it probably hurts them.
As far as I can tell the benefits run out after rep 3 and once they do you just run into a brick wall and anything you do after that is going to suck. It's great for forcing yourself to keep going on a 1RM or 3RM and might be useful for a 3x3, but I think my habit of forcing myself to calm down back when I was squatting in the 275 range was surreptitiously improving my numbers. 335 is going to be fun next time.
I also suspect that the "don't use the 45s" trick helped here.
Tore one of my calluses horribly, too. It's the same one that ripped a bit on Friday but now it's actually bleeding seriously.

Floor Press: 45x2, 95, 135, 185
225lbs - 5, 5*, 4 (5F)
*Spotter mistakenly started helping slightly towards the end of the 5th rep; however, it was far enough past my sticking point that I know I would have gotten the rep regardless, so I'm still counting it.
Sweet.
Wonder how high I can take this bitch.

GHR:
2x10x10lbs
May go back to 3 sets given that I'm not doing anything else at the end of these workouts anymore.

(went home to do...)

DB Rows:
95lbs - 5/5, 5/5, 5/5
Switching to Kroc style in future, as state.
Also, screw clamps are fucking awesome.

Program-wise, I'm having another idea - 3x5 but rotate the exercises out somewhat more frequently.

See, this is why I try to avoid thinking about it. A few days ago I was thinking 5-3-1 would probably be a decent choice...mostly because I hadn't thought about 5-3-1 in a while and then read that thread asking about it.

So...yeah, thinking about that bridge after I cross this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment