Friday, September 16, 2011

2011-09-16 Intensity

Warmup

Squat: 45, 95, 135, 185, 225, 275, 327.5
370lbs - 4 (5F)
Seems I was GMing the hell out of these. Need to get Rachel to bring the camera in future.
Rich (Asian guy with excellent intensity) did a good job on the cues for this. When I asked him to yell at me I thought it'd just be the Saarni-style "Up" and occasional major cues, but instead I got a fairly manly voice shouting at me for the entire set, which was pretty nice.
So:
4s?
3s?
Retake this under the assumption that GHRs and not losing focus between sets will help me to fix the issues? (I was in the zone until I left to go pay for more parking time - something I won't do again).

Press: 45, 95, 135
155lbs - 4 (5F)
Rich yelling at me this one too, though it didn't really help. I wasn't in the right mindset for a max set.
Taking breaks between warmups to go help people seems to impacting my performance. I'm going to have to be stricter about how I behave in the gym; letting my desire to be chatty get the better of me is hurting my numbers.

Deadlift: 155, 185, 225, 275, 315, 365 (all for 3)
420lbs - 3
See, for these, given the way my mind was going after the squats and presses (relaxation - not panic/regret/whatever, seems I'm recovering well enough on the TM that that level of stress never comes up), I figured "Meh, go for 415."
Then I did my 315 set and started to reconsider because the weight was flying up.
Then I did my 365 set and decided to go for 420 because that felt the way 315 did a few weeks ago.
A lot of that is technical - focusing on falling back, rounding my back forward without letting my lats relax - but I suspect that the speed pulls and switch to 3s rather than 5s is a major contributor. Not sure if I should go for 7.5lbs as a rule or stick with 10.
---
So, GHRs are definitely in. I'm fairly sure that speed pulls with chains will work as well as/better than straight weight ones, but may experiment with it.

Not sure if I should do anything extra anywhere to help fix the GMing out of the hole on the squat. GHRs should help a lot, mindset should help a lot, and cuing (both internal and external) should help a lot.

Oh, and the squat dump was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment