Saturday, May 10, 2014

Possible Dietary Changes

I'm considering switching off to more of a carb cycling-type approach, albeit handling things more on the context of the meals than any focus on high/med/low-type days. I'm also thinking of shifting some of the carbs over to breakfast via either cranberries/cherries (fresh or dried) or some form of starch (wheat berries?).

Carbs on waking just boils down to some nutrient timing stuff for preserving lean mass, and I don't know how much I really care about it. I'm interested in the carb cycling aspect for two reasons:
- Eating carbs today felt like something of a waste since I'm not exercising
- It gives me a couple of higher-fat days on which I can branch out without really interfering with existing meals (primarily thinking of eggs, salmon, and lamb here).

The big thing is mostly just that I miss eggs, to be honest. There's no way for me to integrate something that high in fat per unit protein without throwing out an entire salad, and I'm hesitant to discard one of the generically healthy parts of my day. Dramatically lowering carbs for an entire day opens up an entire meal to do that, with some bonus maneuvering on carbs, hormonal benefits, and extra protein.

I'll think about this more tomorrow. The overall IIFYM theme of my approach gives me some maneuvering on breakfast regardless (one run of eggs benedict is basically equivalent to the steak salad as-is), so working out recipes to fit with things and getting a little more flexible sooner rather than later has some merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment