Friday, June 14, 2013

Experimental Diet Update

Chicken breasts from Costco come in at $3.29/lb or something similarly obscene. That said, whey shakes didn't cut it for me today so I'm probably going to go for the solids and greens.

Each pouch from Costco comes in at about 1.5lbs (across 2 breasts), so while I've currently got them packaged in sets of 3 I'm thinking that (partly to avoid stupidly high costs) I'll go with 2 - puts me around 150g protein before what I'll get from actual meals. They're in packs of six, so at one pouch per day I'm running one pack per week, minus one day - I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to handle that yet (short of just buying them more frequently). Alternatively, I could run 3 breasts per day - downside being that it'd run costs up to about $200 per month, though since I don't plan to do this for very long I'm not sure how worried I should be about that.

The experimental part of this is that I still don't know how to handle eating the breasts. A few days ago I marinaded a few in a mix of tandoori and vindaloo paste, then grilled them on medium-high heat for a while - the results were very moist and pretty pleasant to eat (possibly because I was famished at the time), but I don't know if I can tolerate eating that 4-6 times every day, or how well it'll keep. I'll find out over the next few days, hopefully.

Options for peri-training meals currently include:
Various stir-fries (5-spice beef so far, though I'll expand that)
Braised short ribs with rice
Chicken and potatoes

More upcoming

No comments:

Post a Comment