Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Refining the Protein Shakes

Right now my thoughts per liter are:
2.5 scoops (75g) whey - current double chocolate
1 scoop (30g) casein - current chocolate PB, which works surprisingly well
1tsp whole psyllium husk - 2tsp pending future experiments, since it'll gel up eventually
5g creatine
Salt to taste

I haven't tried the psyllium yet, but the water doesn't gel up at 2tsp without the protein powders. This should give me 3 "meals" (or 3-5 hours worth) per bottle and keep me relatively full throughout the day since psyllium and casein both slow down digestion.

I also realized that casein (regular micellar, not the really expensive new one) isn't much more expensive than whey. Milk protein has casein at around 80%, so an even ratio probably won't hurt unless the flavors suck.

This has it around 30g protein per "meal," so I can hit 300g pretty easily with 3 bottles worth on fasting days. Once I have the recipe sorted I'll just start mixing it up a week at a time.

EDIT: Further note:
It just occurred to me that since the goal here is a really quick supply of amino acids early in the morning, the first shake (immediately upon waking) should probably just be whey, creatine, and salt. This kills the need for creatine later in the day.

UPDATE:
The psyllium actually seems to work pretty well at 1tsp. I'll experiment with upping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment