Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Diet/Cutting Updates

I've had some serious cheat periods over the last few days (partly from hanging out more, partly from just being lax), but with the meet set out at June 1st and me generally wanting to get leaner, I think it's time to strict things up a bit.

I'm declaring the salads mandatory for each day, and adding intervals after workouts on Sunday and Thursday. I've been going through some of Layne Norton's videos and gotten some (anecdotal) confirmation of old ideas about slowly gaining/losing weight (here: lose slowly, pause for a bit, then gain back slowly and pause; you'll ideally/probably wind up with less bodyfat even with your original starting calories). We're about 13 weeks out now, and if I can drop 1lb/week in that time the water drop to 148 will be pretty painless and I can gradually pull back up before starting the cut for November. It's sort of interesting to think about the contrast with what I wanted last summer - there I was thinking in terms of hitting weight in the short term to stay there for the long, whereas now I'm thinking about just pulling through the long regardless.

Time for bed (nearly).

Postscript: (Feb 19):
Having gone through more of Layne's videos, I suspect I'm going to manipulate my calorie intake primarily through carbs; I like where my fat is now and think that's working fairly well. This also means I can focus primarily on just editing how much rice I eat, which makes things very nice and simple.

Gradually pulling back up in this case will probably mean adding something like 10g of rice per day per week. As a performance athlete I've got some more wiggle room, but building up as high as possible would be very nice (especially since life later on in the jobs I want to work involves a lot of eating out, and I'd prefer to be back up at "roaring blast furnace" and able to lose weight on 4k/day once I'm no longer prepping most of my own food or able to get a nutrition sheet for each meal).

No comments:

Post a Comment