Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Some thoughts and programming updates

I still haven't managed to work out a schedule that'll let me train twice each day, so I won't be trying that. I should probably accumulate some more time on this program and sort out my diet and sleep patterns before I attempt anything along those lines.

That said, I think I'm going to set out weight goals, maxima, and minima on a longer-term basis. Essentially, whichever weight I was using for a particularly good near-max single becomes the "maximum" for a while; I don't push past that weight unless I feel particularly good about a set done with it, and I don't take more than three reps over 90-95% of it. Triples shouldn't particularly exceed 90% of that in general, though I may add an extra 1-2 triples at lower weights if the day felt particularly good.

My rationale here is basically that recently - particularly this Sunday - I've been taking weights higher than I should have and may have suffered slower progress as a result. The weights I used before were clearly working, so there's no real reason to push for the PRs unless a day feels particularly good (like last Sunday, when I hit 365 for the first time since last April). So, for the time being, while my daily minimum will be set at 325 (or 315, I honestly don't know), my goal weight is 345. Next time I set a PR I'll take another look at my "best reps" list and update to reflect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment