Sunday, March 30, 2014

2014-03-30 Back and Bicep

Warmup - making a note to try the 7.5lb dumbbells, since this is getting trivial with 5lb plates

Stiff Leg Deadlift -
135x5
185x5
225x8 (Hook Grip)
250x12 (Straps)
275x8 (Straps)
I'm going to work on my hip mobility and get video at some point; I want to make sure I'm staying neutral and not developing "oysters" with these.
Trying to work with the hook grip was a huge pain, so I strapped up, which worked better. I couldn't hit a consistent groove here; clearly something I need to work on. I'm guessing that was my body trying to shift the load to my upper back (kept falling forward).
So, straps and work up. I chatted about that with Costis and discovered that he works up to top sets on everything; it seems like a common enough trend to try out, especially on shit like these. He also usually drops down to do a high-rep set of most things after his heaviest one, which could also be valuable.

Barbell Row -
135x12, 12, 10
Not sure how I'd handle working up on these.
I can actually hit these strict with a flat back for a few reps. Figuring out the technique to use may take a while.

Curl -
22.5x12, 8, 6
Considering doing some sort of curling cycle here where I just murder my biceps with a single HIT-style set on 3 different curl variations. Leeman's suggestion is Heavy -> Volume -> Stretch/Squeeze/Contraction across various angles. Straight up copying him would be something like heavy EZ bar curl -> Hammer curl -> incline curl. Going heavy on the EZ curl sounds like a good idea, not 100% sure on the followup. Maybe EZ -> Hammer Preacher -> Incline with ascending rep ranges.

Banded Neutral HLR -
Green RSF Band for 12, 13, 15
Realized I still need to keep my back away from the pad. Doing these with the band is pretty tough at the top, which is probably a good thing.

Then left.

No comments:

Post a Comment